Although lots of civilization think the covering a cake with fondant is straightforward task, gaining straight sides and sharp edges demands a details technique.
There are numerous methods to get a great finish and all of them space legitimate. You can reach the same location by different paths, after all. You must follow a collection of actions when spanning a ring cake, yet the problem is further complex if you desire to cover square cakes. That’s why I desire to show you how I cover square cakes through fondant.
You are watching: How to cover a square cake with fondant
Before spanning the square fondant cake: 3 essential points
1. If you’re going come cover a square cake v fondant, make sure that the edges are right-angled and also that the sides space perfectly straight. You can use specific tools favor a ganache icing smoother or a steel square. Otherwise, the cake won’t be perfect and also the extending won’t look great enough.
2. Advice the elevation of the cake. Bear in mind that tall cakes are more complex to cover with fondant than shorter cakes. This happens since of the excess of fondant the is generated in high cakes, i m sorry we have to reabsorb in order to gain a perfect covering. If the cake is really tall, don’t large the fondant also thin. Don’t worry about the excess thickness, the fondant will be gaining thinner as you smooth it. If it’s also thin native the beginning, it will break.
3. Pick a great fondant. I constantly use Renshaw Extra, since it’s an excellent to job-related with. It’s elastic, firm and also it never breaks.
15 procedures for extending a square cake through fondant
1. In stimulate to display you how to cover a square cake, I’ve preferred a tall dummy. It’s necessary to expand a an excellent amount the fondant. I offered 750gr that fondant. Bear in mind the you should stretch a big sheet the fondant so that it’s simpler to handle. Prior to stretching it, provide it a square shape.
2. Start stretching the fondant. Sprinkle a little bit of icing sugar so the it doesn’t gain stuck to your functioning surface. It’s crucial to keep checking it’s no stuck come the surface. Remember the the fondant needs to have the very same shape as the cake or the dummy, so save checking it as you big it.
3. A an excellent trick for maintaining the essential shape that the fondant is come stretch in one direction, rotate it 45º and also stretch again. And also so on, until you acquire a large square. Measure up the sides of the dummy from end to finish to acquire the correct dimensions of fondant the you need.
4. Location the cake top top a swivel base and also use a brush to wet the totality surface that the dummy. Be careful not to soak it, due to the fact that the fondant will certainly slip and also will get very sticky.
5. Take it the extended fondant through both hands and also carefully location it top top the centre of the cake.
6. The an initial thing you should do now is to solve the corners quickly. As soon as we cover tall cakes, we have actually a many fondant hanging and the corners hold a good amount the weight. If we don’t plot fast, the corners will certainly crack. The priority is come stick the fondant to the corners and also the top edges.
7. As soon as you’ve glued the top, you need to glue the fondant come the sides. That method you’ll take it the excess fondant with the centre of each side.
8. Repeat the procedure until solving the fondant on all sides. Don’t concern if you have actually excess fondant in the centre.
9. Start to remove the overfill fondant v the centre. Open the wrinkles and slightly push the fondant downwards in order to smooth it.
10. Work-related each side. Don’t begin with the next side till you’re done with the vault side. End up removing the wrinkles downwards till the end of the dummy.
11. Once you’re excellent removing the wrinkles, take 2 fondant smoothers and also start to smooth every sides. Be cautious not to press too much.
12. Cut the overfill fondant native the base and also keep the in a plastic bag. Close the right, gaining the wait out.
13. Take 2 fondant smoothers to gain perfect edges. Location them close to the edge and press slightly until the fondant creates a right angle. Unlike in ring cakes, you have to work every edges.
14. Press the reduced edges v a fondant smoother. Repeat this step until the fondant it s okay really thin on the base. The way, friend won’t create any marks as soon as you reduced it.
15. Reduced the excess fondant with cutter or one X-acto knife. Eliminate the excess and also keep it in the plastic bag you provided earlier.
A guideline for extending a cake through fondant
If you’re covering a genuine cake through fondant, the overabundance fondant might contain cake or cacao scraps. Be mindful not to keep it with the remainder of extra fondant, together it may obtain dirty and change colour, personal from getting damaged.
See more: Let'S Debate: Are You Wet Underwater ? Why Is Water Wet
Do you think it’s basic to prolong the fondant because that a square cake?
I hope this tutorial around how come cover a square cake v fondant aid you get a perfect covering. If friend have any doubts, you can leave a comment below and I’ll price asap.
ByMarc Suárez 2 comment