1) One significant advantage of utilizing Arabidopsis thaliana as a model device for studies of plant kind and role is its A) rapid generation time. B) exceptionally huge genome. C) huge seeds. D) high tolerance to stress. E) high mutation rate.
You are watching: Which of the following root tissues gives rise to lateral roots?
2) studies using Arabidopsis thaliana have actually led come important breakthroughs in every one of the following other than A) gene mapping. B) affect of allude mutations on gene function. C) gene expression during plant development. D) evolutionary history of plants. E) how genes potentially interact with various other genes.
3) The total number of genes in a species\" genome is no necessarily a an excellent indicator of organic complexity due to the fact that A) many genes are never turned on. B) plenty of genes space repeats. C) this does no take right into account the alternative splicing of pre-mRNA. D) this does not take right into account mRNA-mRNA interactions. E) this does no take into account protein-mRNA interactions.
4) pick the choice that best describes the relationship in between the cell wall thickness the parenchyma cell versus sclerenchyma cells. A) The cell wall surfaces of parenchyma cells space thinner 보다 those of sclerenchyma cells. B) The cell wall surfaces of parenchyma cells space thicker than those the schlerenchyma cells. C) The cell wall surfaces of both varieties of cells are about equal. D) The thickness of the cell walls for both varieties of cells is also variable for a comparison to it is in made.
5) Which structure is incorrectly paired with its tissue system? A) root hair dermal organization B) palisade parenchyma ground tissue C) guard cell dermal organization D) companion cell ground tissue E) tracheid vascular tissue
6) i beg your pardon of the adhering to is obtained from the ground organization system? A) source hair B) cuticle C) periderm D) pith E) phloem
7) Which component of a tree absorbs most of the water and also minerals taken up from the soil? A) taproots B) source hairs C) the thick parts of the roots near the base of the stem D) storage roots E) sections of the root the have an additional xylem
8) land plants are composed of every one of the following tissue species except A) mesodermal. B) epidermal. C) meristematic. D) vascular. E) soil tissue.
9) Vascular plant tissue includes every one of the following cell species except A) vessel elements. B) sieve cells. C) tracheids. D) companion cells. E) cambium cells.
10) when you eat Brussels sprouts, what room you eating? A) immature flower B) huge axillary sprout C) petioles D) storage pipeline E) storage roots
11) which cells are no longer capable of transporting out the procedure of DNA transcription? A) tracheids B) mature mesophyll cells C) companion cell D) meristematic cell E) glandular cells
12) ________ is to xylem together ________ is come phloem. A) Sclerenchyma cell; collenchyma cabinet B) Apical meristem; vascular cambiumC) vessel element; sieve-tube member D) Cortex; pith E) Vascular cambium; cork cambium
13) CO₂ beginning the inner spaces of the leaf with the A) cuticle. B) epidermal trichomes. C) stoma. D) phloem. E) walls of security cells.
14) i m sorry of the adhering to cells deliver sugars over long distances? A) parenchyma cell B) collenchyma cell C) sclerenchyma cell D) tracheids and also vessel facets E) sieve-tube elements
15) i m sorry of the following have unevenly thickened primary walls that support young, farming parts the the plant? A) parenchyma cell B) collenchyma cells C) sclerenchyma cell D) tracheids and vessel aspects E) sieve-tube elements
16) i beg your pardon of the following are many responsible for sustaining mature, nongrowing parts of the plant? A) parenchyma cells B) collenchyma cell C) trichomes D) tracheids and also vessel aspects E) sieve-tube elements
17) The vascular bundle in the form of a single central cylinder in a source is dubbed the A) cortex. B) stele. C) endodermis. D) periderm. E) pith.
18) One essential difference in between the anatomy that roots and the anatomy of pipeline is the A) only leaves have phloem and also only roots have xylem. B) root cells have actually cell walls and leaf cells execute not. C) a waxy cuticle consists leaves but is missing from roots. D) vascular tissue is uncovered in roots yet is missing from leaves. E) leaves have actually epidermal tissue but roots do not.
19) A student examining leaf overcome sections under a microscope finds countless loosely packed cells with reasonably thin cabinet walls. The cell have plenty of chloroplasts. What kind of cells space they? A) parenchyma B) xylem C) endodermis D) collenchyma E) sclerenchyma
20) contrasted to many animals, the growth of most plants is finest described as A) perennial. B) weedy. C) indeterminate. D) derivative. E) primary.
21) A vessel element would likely lose the protoplast in which ar of a root? A) zone that cell department B) zone that elongation C) region of mature D) root lid E) apical meristem
22) Gas exchange, i beg your pardon is necessary for photosynthesis, can happen most conveniently in which leaf tissue?A) epidermis B) palisade mesophyll C) spongy mesophyll D) vascular tissue E) bundle sheath
23) which of the following finest describes benefits conferred by compound leaves versus an easy leaves? A) There\"s a greater chance of catching photons in intermittently shady areas. B) there is less chance of damage in high-wind areas. C) There\"s a decreased chance the herbivory. D) there is much less surface area for water loss. E) There\"s a greater chance of catching photons in intermittently shady areas and also less chance of damages in high-wind areas.
24) Water is most most likely to enter a mesophyll cell A) as a gas. B) together a liquid. C) covalently bound come sugars. D) coupled to ion transport. E) via endocytosis.
25) plants contain meristems whose major function is come A) lure pollinators. B) absorb ions. C) photosynthesize. D) produce more cells. E) produce flowers.
26) A cell that is most likely to maintain the capacity to divide, perform metabolic functions, and store photosynthate would be a A) parenchyma cabinet in a leaf. B) vessel facet in the vascular system. C) endodermal cabinet in a root. D) bark cell. E) fiber cell.
27) i beg your pardon of the complying with cell species is the very least likely come be qualified of cell division? A) mesophyll cell in a emerging leaf B) parenchyma cell 2 mm native the pointer of a root C) parenchyma cabinet in a dormant axillary bud D) sensible tracheid cell in a stem
28) The driving force that pushes the root pointer through the soil is mostly A) consistent cell department in the root cap at the pointer of the root. B) constant cell department just behind the root cap in the facility of the apical meristem. C) elongation of cells behind the root apical meristem. D) the elongation of root hairs. E) continuous cell department of root cap cells.
29) shoot elongation in a farming bud is due mostly to A) cell department at the shoot apical meristem. B) cell elongation directly listed below the shoot apical meristem. C) cell department localized in each internode. D) cabinet elongation localized in every internode. E) cell department at the shoot apical meristem and also cell elongation directly listed below the shoot apical meristem.
30) Axillary sprout A) room initiated by the cork cambium. B) have actually dormant meristematic cells. C) room composed that a collection of internodes doing not have nodes. D) grow instantly into shoot branches. E) carry out not kind a vascular link with the main shoot.
The complying with question is based on parts of a cultivation primary root. I. Root lid II. Zone the elongation III. Zone of cell division IV. Region of cell maturation V. Apical meristem 31) which of the following is the correct sequence indigenous the farming tips the the root upward? A) I, II, V, III, IV B) III, V, I, II, IV C) II, IV, I, V, III D) IV, II, III, I, V E) I, V, III, II, IV
32) i beg your pardon of the complying with is wrongly paired v its structure and function? A) sclerenchyma sustaining cells with thick an additional walls B) periderm safety coat that woody stems and roots C) pericycle waterproof ring of cells surrounding the main stele in root D) mesophyll parenchyma cells functioning in photosynthesis in leaves E) soil meristem main meristem the produces the ground tissue system
33) i beg your pardon of the adhering to root tissues offers rise to lateral roots? A) endodermis B) phloem C) cortex D) epidermis E) pericycle
34) A sheet primordium is initiated together a small mound of organization on the flank the a dome-shaped shoot apical meristem. The earliest physical evidence of the website of a newly developing leaf primordium would certainly be A) development of chloroplasts in a surface cell of the shooting apical meristem. B) cell division in the shoot apical meristem v the newly forming walls perpendicular come the surface ar of the meristem. C) preprophase bands parallel to the surface of the meristem in subsurface cells of the shoot apical meristem. D) elongation that epidermal cell perpendicular to the surface of the shooting apical meristem. E) formation of stomata in the epidermal great of the shoot apical meristem.
35) Pores ~ above the leaf surface that function in gas exchange are referred to as A) hairs. B) xylem cells. C) phloem cells. D) stomata. E) sclereids.
36) which of the complying with is a true statement about growth in plants? A) just primary growth is localized at meristems. B) part plants lack secondary growth. C) just stems have an additional growth. D) Only an additional growth produces reproductive structures. E) Monocots have only major growth, and eudicots have only second growth.
37) all of the following cell species are correctly matched v their functions other than A) mesophyll–photosynthesis. B) guard cell–regulation the transpiration. C) sieve-tube member–translocation. D) ship element–water transport. E) companion cell–formation of second xylem and also phloem.
38) What would certainly be a plant adaptation that rises exposure that a plant to light in a thick forest? A) close up door of the stomata B) lateral sprout C) apical supremacy D) absence of petioles E) intercalary meristems
39) A person working v plants may reduce the inhibition of apical supremacy by auxin via which of the following? A) pruning shoot advice B) deep watering that the roots C) fertilizing D) treating the plants v auxins E) feeding the tree nutrients
40) What impact does \"pinching back\" have on a houseplant? A) rises apical supremacy B) inhibits the development of lateral buds C) produces a plant the will flourish taller D) stimulates lateral sprout to prosper E) increases the circulation of auxin down the shoot
41) which of the following cells or organization arise indigenous lateral meristem activity? A) an additional xylem B) leaves C) trichomes D) tubers E) cortex
42) A plant has actually the following characteristics: a taproot system, several growth rings evident in a cross section of the stem, and a layer of bark roughly the outside. I beg your pardon of the following ideal describes the plant? A) herbaceous eudicot B) woody eudicot C) woody monocot D) herbaceous monocot E) woody annual
43) Cells developed by lateral meristems are known as A) dermal and also ground tissue. B) lateral tissues. C) pith. D) secondary tissues. E) shoots and also roots.
44) which of the adhering to is a true statement? A) Flowers may have an additional growth. B) secondary growth is a typical feature the eudicot leaves. C) second growth is developed by both the vascular cambium and also the cork cambium. D) Primary development and secondary growth alternating in the life bicycle of a plant. E) tree with an additional growth are commonly the the smallest ones in one ecosystem.
45) What tissue provides up most of the hardwood of a tree? A) main xylem B) secondary xylem C) an additional phloem D) mesophyll cell E) vascular cambium
46) If you to be able come walk into an opening reduced into the facility of a huge redwood tree, as soon as you exit from the center of the stems (stem) outward, you would cross, in order, A) the yearly rings, brand-new xylem, vascular cambium, phloem, and also bark. B) the second xylem, cork cambium, phloem, and also periderm. C) the vascular cambium, earliest xylem, and newest xylem. D) the secondary xylem, second phloem, and vascular cambium. E) the summer wood, bark, and phloem.
47) additional vascular tissue developed as an additional growth in a root originates from which cells? A) vascular cambium B) apical meristem C) endodermis D) phloem E) xylem
48) follow to the ABC model of floral development, which genes would be expressed in a showy ornamental flower v multiple sepals and petals however no stamens or carpels?A) A genes only B) B genes just C) C genes only D) A and B genes only E) A and also C genes only
49) A mutation enables only A gene task in a occurring flower. I beg your pardon flower part(s) will develop in this plant? A) sepals B) petals C) stamens D) carpels E) both sepals and petals
50) While studying the plant Arabidopsis, a botanist finds that an RNA probe produces colored spots in the sepals that the plant. From this information, what can be inferred? A) The in different ways colored plants will certainly attract various pollinating insects. B) The RNA probe is transported only to particular tissues. C) The colored areas were brought about by mutations that developed in the sepals. D) The RNA probe is particular to a gene energetic in sepals. E) more research needs to be excellent on the sepals that Arabidopsis.
51) prior to differentiation can begin during the processes of tree cell and also tissue culture, parenchyma cells from the resource tissue have to A) distinguish into procambium. B) undergo dedifferentiation. C) rise the number of chromosomes in their nuclei. D) enzymatically digest their primary cell walls. E) create a brand-new polarity in their cytoplasm.
52) The polarity of a plant is developed when A) the zygote divides. B) cotyledons kind at the shoot end of the embryo. C) the shoot-root axis is created in the embryo. D) the major root breaks v the seeds coat. E) the shoot first breaks through the soil into the light together the particle germinates.
53) Totipotency is a term provided to describe a cell\"s capability to offer rise come a complete new organism. In plants, this way that A) plant advancement is not under genetic control. B) the cells of shoots and the cells of root have different genes. C) cell differentiation depends largely on the control of gene expression. D) a cell\"s atmosphere has no effect on the differentiation. E) sexual reproduction is not necessary in plants.
54) which of the following statements is false? A) A preprophase band determines whereby a cell plate will kind in a splitting cell. B) The way in i beg your pardon a plant cell differentiates is identified by the cell\"s position in the emerging plant body. C) Homeotic genes often regulate morphogenesis. D) tree cells differentiate since the cytoskeleton determines which genes will certainly be rotate \"on\" and also \"off.\" E) Arabidopsis was the very first plant to have its genome sequenced.
55) i m sorry of the following are true statements about the cells displayed in the photo in number 35.1 above? A) They room parenchyma cells. B) They space photosynthetic. C) They are usually uncovered in roots. D) They space phloem cells. E) They are parenchyma cells and photosynthetic.
The following question are based on the drawing of source or stem cross sections displayed in number 35.2. number 35.2 56) A monocot stem is stood for byA) i only. B) II only. C) III only. D) IV only. E) both I and also III.
The following question are based upon the drawing of root or stem overcome sections presented in number 35.2. number 35.2 57) A plant the is at the very least 3 years old is represented by A) i only. B) II only. C) III only. D) IV only. E) both I and also III.
The complying with question are based upon the illustration of root or stem overcome sections displayed in figure 35.2. number 35.2 58) A woody eudicot is represented byA) i only. B) II only. C) III only. D) IV only. E) both I and also III.
59) as a youngster, you drive a pond in the stems of a young tree that is 3 meters tall. The pond is around 1.5 meters from the ground. Fifteen year later, girlfriend return and discover the the tree has actually grown come a height of 30 meters. Around how countless meters above the ground is the nail? A) 0.5 B) 1.5 C) 3.0 D) 15.0 E) 28.5
60) mean George Washington completely removed the bark from about the basic of a cherry tree yet was stopped by his father before cutting the tree down. The leaves maintained their normal appearance for several weeks, however the tree ultimately died. The tissue(s) that George left practical was/were the A) phloem. B) xylem. C) cork cambium. D) cortex. E) companion and sieve-tube members.
61) many of the expansion of a plant body is the result of A) cell differentiation. B) morphogenesis. C) cell division. D) cell elongation. E) reproduction.
62) The innermost great of the root cortex is the A) core. B) pericycle. C) endodermis. D) pith. E) vascular cambium.
63) Heartwood and sapwood covers A) bark. B) periderm. C) an additional xylem. D) second phloem. E) cork.
See more: Which Characteristics Were Part Of The Medieval Code Of Chivalry? Check All That Apply.
64) The phase change of one apical meristem from the youth to the tires vegetative phase is regularly revealed through A) a readjust in the morphology the the pipeline produced. B) the initiation of an additional growth. C) the formation of lateral roots. D) a change in the orientation that preprophase bands and cytoplasmic microtubules in lateral meristems. E) the activation that floral meristem identity genes.
65) based upon the abc hypothesis, what would certainly be the structure of a flower from the outermost whorl that had normal expression of gene A and C and expression of gene B in all four whorls? A) carpel-petal-petal-carpel B) petal-petal-stamen-stamen C) sepal-carpel-carpel-sepal D) sepal-sepal-carpel-carpel E) carpel-carpel-carpel-carpel
66) i beg your pardon of the adhering to arise, straight or indirectly, indigenous meristematic activity? A) an additional xylem B) leaves C) dermal tissue D) tubers E) an additional xylem, leaves, dermal tissue, and tubers
67) i m sorry of the complying with would not be watched in a cross-section v the woody component of a root? A) sclerenchyma cells B) parenchyma cells C) sieve-tube facets D) source hairs E) courage elements